Pages

3.02.2010

Meat pies part I

I don't make pizza crust except crust that is not gluten free, dairy free. Since I can not enjoy the cheesy goodness of pizza I choose not to make it for myself. I have however been craving meat pies. Crusty, doughy sandwiches filled with meat.

Here are my recipes for gluten and gluten free crusts.

Pizza crust for my kids (not GF)

2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast
1/2 tsp of brown sugar
1 1/2 Cup of warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp of olive oil (+ a little more to coat the bowl)
3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour

In a large bowl dissolve yeast and brown sugar in water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution and mix in 2.5 cups of the flour.

Turn dough out onto a clean well floured surface and start to knead. Knead in more flour a 1/4 cup at a time until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl and cover with a cloth. Let rise for 1 hour. Punch down after an hour and form a tight ball. Let relax a minute or two before rolling out to make meat pies.


Gluten free all purpose flour mixture:

1 Cup of white rice flour
1 Cup of potato starch
1 Cup of sorghum flour
1/2 Cup of corn starch
1/2 Cup of tapioca flour
4 tsp of xanthan gum

I triple this recipe each time I make it. I keep it in a big over sized tupperware container in my basement. I make it about once a week. 
Gluten free Dairy free Pizza crust:
1 1/2 Cups of all purpose gluten free flour
3 tbsp of coconut milk powder (or vegan milk powder, soy milk powder)
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of salt
2 1/2 tsp of active dry yeast
2 egg whites
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp of vinegar (I use red wine but you can use white, cidar, champagne, etc)
3/4 Cup of warm water
Mix wet ingredients together in a mixer slowly adding dry ingredients. Combine. Turn the mixer on high for 4-5 minutes to combine ingredients. This crust will be very sticky and may need to add more all purpose flour to bring the dough together. 



Meat Pie filling
1 lb of ground beef
1 Carrot
1/4 of a yellow onion
1/2 tsp of all spice
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp of corn starch

Cook ground beef until it is no longer pink. Shred the carrot and the onion into the mixture. (I shred the vegetables as my kids will not eat something with vegetables integrated into the mixture) If you want to you could add cut up carrots, peas, onions, peppers to this mixture. Add the all spice, garlic powder, garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until you can smell the seasonings blended. Add the corn starch when you've finished cooking to thicken the sauce. You will want 1/4 cup of meat mixture for each meat pie. 

I will form the meat pies, cook them and finish with my results. Stay tuned for part II.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails