Pages

6.23.2011

Pan fried Swai Fish Fillets

I wasn't planning on making fish today, but walking past the fish counter at the grocery store today my oldest son said, let's get fish!  I saw a sign for Swai $3.27 a lb. I said sure...Three fillets please.

My total was $3.18. Not a bad deal for dinner. Since I've never heard of Swai before I asked the fish guy is it like Tilipia or Cod? He said I guess...I've never had it. An adventure I like it. Looking on the internet for recipes with Swai left much to be desired so here's my gluten free, dairy free version.

Pan Fried Swai Fish Fillets

1 lb of Swai patted dry
1 cup of gluten free corn flakes
3 Glutino vegetable flavored crackers crumbed up
2 eggs
1 tsp of water Salt and Pepper to taste.

I used the food processor to grind up the corn flakes and then added the Glutino Crackers. I keep these in the house and enjoy them with tuna, egg or chicken salad. They have a nice flavor and give a good taste to the bread crumbs. I mix up the egg and place the eggs in one pie dish and the bread crumbs in another (once they are in a nice consistency. This might take a while as the Glutino crackers take a while to crunch up into a nice fine bread crumb. Add some salt and pepper to the bread crumbs after you put them in the pie plate.


Add about tsp or two of water to the eggs...they just need a little extra liquid to adhere to the fish. Melt about a tbsp of Smart Balance (or some other dairy free buttery spread) in a large frying pan. Dip the fish in the egg then the bread crumbs and right into the hot pan with the melted butter. This will get mess so try to only use on hand for the dipping. Once you have all the fillets in your pan let them cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes.  It will only take 8-10 minutes to cook the fish.

My bread crumbs did not adhere as much as I would have liked but I ended up with enough on the fish for them to taste delicious. I served mine with petite medley potatoes and corn on the cob. My kids LOVED this meal. Healthy, gluten free, dairy free, and kid approved. We'll have Swai again some time soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails